Tuesday, October 17, 2023

Two Tips for OSR GMs

Though I've been an active game master for more than 30 years, I don't like to give GM advice for several reasons. There's so much of it already out there. Everyone has their own opinions. What works for some tables, doesn't for others. I digress. 

That said, I have two suggestions for experienced OSR game masters of the B/X persuasion . . .

 

1. To become a better game master, play the game. 

Yes, being a good GM takes practice, but playing will increase an experienced GM's skill more than running. You'll find things you like and things dislike about the game you're playing and apply that knowledge to your own. 

A "forever GM's" skill plateaus; often, they don't even realize it. If you've been running games and "almost never get to play" for years now, it's likely that you're a "forever GM." 

Forever GMs usually—but not always—run at least a "pretty good" game. However, they're never "great" and they all judge their own ability as far better than it is in reality. 

Forever GM's are the "only childs" of game masters. Don't be a forever GM.

2. Roll a B/X dungeon straight out of the book.
 

If you've never actually went through the whole process from beginning to end of rolling a random dungeon from page 52 of the 1981 Basic Set (or page 47 in 1983's Basic Set), you will learn things and you will be inspired. I promise. 

When I start writing a dungeon, if I don't draw my own, the first thing I do is generate a map, or select a blank one from somewhere like Dyson Logos' blog, or Paratime Design. A dungeon with around 25 rooms should suffice. 

I number the rooms if they're not already, then roll on the chart from page B52 for each one in order. Yes, chances are, 1 in 3 rooms are empty; that's because the game emphasizes exploration. Empty rooms help create a cadence or rhythm to the game that is part of the B/X dungeon crawl experience.  

I then roll for all the monsters and treasures. Here's where I gather all the stat blocks and rules mechanics for my GM's notes. 

After that, I go through and write three sentences or so for each room. I try to describe the various NPCs and treasures with one sentence each, no more. Short, concise, sentences help me to actually finish the process. Once I'm done, then I'll get creative! 

That whole process shouldn't take more than a day or two of casual effort. After that, you have the rough ashlar for a B/X dungeon that you can chisel into your own unique design using your creativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment